Sunday, November 6, 2011

Scared

I looked around today at the young women in my church and thought to myself "I'm scared."

Not that the girls aren't wholesome and lovely- they are. But they're also clever, flirty, long-legged, and super hot. A lot of them. It seems like a disease in my community to be a gorgeous teenager with amazing fashion sense and confidence. They don't wear a lot of make-up, their hair is simple, long, wavy, and natural looking. They dress appropriately and they have fun.

So I'm scared about that.

Because I have TWO boys, who someday will grow in to teenagers. It's something I don't like to think about (except on Sunday afternoon when I want to take a nap and they are running around like complete savages)
I will eventually have to deal with girls calling/texting and parties and driving and dates. I'll have to try so hard to not be that mother that pries and asks questions and pushes her boy away because she desperately wants to know every little detail of what is going on in their lives. I will have to be patient and loving and wait for them to come to me, which is going to be a challenge.
I know this already because when I pick B up from school and ask him what he did he says things like "Ummm some stuff..."
Maybe it's because he's only in kindergarten and honestly doesn't remember, but in my crazy mom-brain I wonder if it's because he just doesn't really want to talk about it.

It's things like these that make me scared.

But, when I look around at those girls, I see my former self. I remember those days of carefree fun, and I also remember being totally oblivious about what boys might be thinking. 

So then I hope. 

I hope that those kinds of girls will still be around when my boys are ready for them. I'm scared that they won't be, but I hope they are.

Until then, I have these guys:


And right now, I've got potty training.

No comments:

Post a Comment